Monday, May 11, 2009

Caye Caulker

So I'm in Belize, on an island called Caye Caulker. Apparently it used to be a pirate cove because of the fresh water found about 6 feet underground, not to mention it's difficult to get to by large boat because of the large reef system surrounding it and the other islands in the area. I'm staying with at my sister's hostel 'Beyond the Sea'. I've got a private room with my own bathroom and shower, it's very comfortable here. The weather is a constant 80-85 degrees, but the ocean breeze knocks it down to a wonderful 75 or so. The island doesn't have a proper water system, so everyone uses pumps and gets the water from underground. It's a little smelly, but it's fresh and you can bathe with it if it's properly treated (i.e. chlorine/bleach) so as to not smell like eggs. There are no proper roads on the island either, just the sand and rock of the island itself. It's smooth enough to walk on, and I find myself going barefoot more often than not.

Sandflies are somewhat of a problem for us northern folk as they seem to love our flesh more than anything. I've got little bites all over my feet, but then again I am walking barefoot so it's my own fault. I have to say despite the sandflies I love this place. I can't write long, so I need to get going, but I'll leave you with a picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/strider_wilson/Awesomepicture-1.png

No comments: